Prior to Independence a small
steam driven reciprocating DG
generator of 100 KW capacity was
installed by the British at Ross
Island in 1926. Direct
current DG Sets of 100 KW
capacity was installed at Port
Blair during 1929. After
independence two steam turbine
generating sets of 550 KW each
were established during 1951 in
the Power House at Chatham
Island. The boilers were
operated on wood fuel and saw
dust, which were the waste
products of Chatham Saw Mill and
later on switched over to
Mangrove Wood which was used as
fuel. This was the start of the
alternating current power supply
at Port Blair.
Due to the geographical and topographical peculiarities of these islands, including separation by sea over great distances, there is no single power grid for all the electrified islands and instead a power house caters independently to the power requirements of an area.
We work for 24 X 365 days with our aim for providing safe and uninterrupted power supply in whole Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
site featuring new energy calculator for the consumer to estimate their energy consumption during the month